Get a style of basic New Orleans consolation meals proper in your kitchen with this simple jambalaya recipe! It’s a hearty mix of rooster, sausage, shrimp, veggies, and rice — brimming with spiced Cajun and Creole flavors.
A recent pot of jambalaya at all times jogs my memory of my journey to New Orleans. The quantity of seafood I attempted was unbelievable, and dishes like gumbo and jambalaya (aka basic Louisiana feel-good meals) are eternally imprinted in my mind.
And whereas jambalaya appears tough to make, it’s really fairly the alternative. It’s a straightforward one-pot meal! Plus, I’ve bought a do-it-yourself Cajun seasoning that actually brings this recipe to life.
And with leftover do-it-yourself seasoning from making this jambalaya recipe, you can also make creamy Cajun chicken – belief me, you’ll be glad you probably did!
- Meats: Whilst you can select from rooster, beef, or pork, the one ingredient you must at all times attempt to embody is andouille sausage. It’s a jambalaya basic, plus it tastes so good. For those who can’t discover andouille sausage you should utilize chorizo.
- Seafood: Just like meat, there’s fairly a couple of seafood choices to select from similar to jumbo shrimp, oysters, crawfish, or mussels. However for this recipe, I’m utilizing shrimp that’s been peeled and deveined.
- Greens: The combo of onion, bell peppers, and celery is named the Cajun Holy Trinity. Consider this as a Cajun model of a French mirepoix vegetable mix!
- Rice: Use a protracted grain white rice for this recipe (I’m utilizing basmati). Brown rice and different varieties of rice will alter the cook dinner time. And ensure to learn the guidelines within the following part on the right way to forestall mushy rice!
- Cajun Seasoning & Spices: Whereas you should buy Cajun seasoning, I counsel making my do-it-yourself Cajun seasoning to match the flavors and colours occurring on this recipe (I speak extra about this under). You’ll additionally want recent garlic, purple pepper flakes and a bay leaf.
- Broth: The bottom of this recipe makes use of numerous rooster broth and a can of crushed tomatoes to cook dinner the rice.
Useful tip: Jambalaya is of course spicy. However my model isn’t overly spicy (a minimum of I don’t assume so). For those who’re involved concerning the stage of spice, you may cut back or omit the purple pepper flakes.
Discover the printable recipe with measurements under
Cajun vs Creole Jambalaya
Whereas the variations are refined, you may normally inform by the colour. Creole jambalaya consists of tomatoes, so it’s extra reddish in shade. Cajun jambalaya is extra brown. So this recipe leans in direction of Creole given the crushed tomatoes (and is much like what I personally ate in New Orleans).
However simply to confuse the matter, I’m utilizing my do-it-yourself Cajun seasoning (that has a Creole bent with thyme and oregano), so it’s actually a scrumptious mix of each. For those who use store-bought Cajun seasoning like Slap Ya Mama that doesn’t embody herbs, you may at all times add a teaspoon of thyme and oregano to the dish, if you add the minced garlic.
How To Stop Mushy Rice
One of many largest complaints when making jambalaya is that the rice finally ends up mushy. And there’s two important culprits of this – selecting the mistaken sort of rice and over-stirring.
For this recipe, you need long-grain white rice, like basmati or jasmine. Don’t use short-grain rice. And keep in mind that each time you stir rice it releases extra starch and breaks down, which may make the tip consequence softer and mushier.
Lastly, if you wish to be additional cautious, you should utilize parboiled rice (or transformed rice) which maintains its construction and “fluffiness” when cooked longer and slower. For those who go for parboiled rice, simply ensure to learn the package deal for the correct cook dinner time. And it’s possible you’ll want so as to add extra broth or water.
How To Make Jambalaya
Season and cook dinner the rooster. In a medium mixing bowl toss collectively the diced rooster with 1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning, till evenly coated. Then saute the rooster till flippantly golden and cooked by way of. Take away the rooster to a plate.
Prepare dinner the sausage. Saute the sausage with the remaining oil, till flippantly browned on each side. Then transfer the sausage to the plate with the rooster.
Saute the veggies. Saute the onion, bell pepper, and celery for 4 to five minutes, till the veggies have softened. Then add the minced garlic, remaining Cajun seasoning, and purple pepper flakes to the pan. Stir collectively for 30 seconds.
Add the rice and liquid. Stir within the rice, then add the bay leaf, tomatoes, and broth. Convey every little thing to a simmer, then cut back the warmth to low and canopy. Prepare dinner for about 7 to eight minutes, stirring often simply to verify the rice isn’t sticking to the underside of the pot, till the rice is al dente.
Add the shrimp. Take away the bay leaf, add the shrimp to the pan together with the sausage and rooster, gently stir, cowl, and switch off the warmth. The shrimp will cook dinner by way of in about 4 to five minutes, and the entire liquid must be absorbed by the rice!
Useful tip: The seafood ought to at all times be added on the finish in order that it’s not overcooked. Nobody desires rubbery shrimp.
Garnish. Earlier than serving, garnish with sliced inexperienced onions and chopped parsley.
- Take pleasure in all through the week: Belief me once I say it will final you for a superb few days! Simply retailer any leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for 4 to five days.
- Freeze for later: Like most of my one-pot recipes, jambalaya is nice for a future frozen meal. It can maintain within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let it thaw within the fridge the evening earlier than, then pop it within the microwave for a minute or so to warmth it again up.
Simple Jambalaya Recipe Video
Extra Comforting One Pot Meals
I hope you take pleasure in this cozy jambalaya recipe as a lot as I do! For those who make it, let me know the way it turned out within the remark field under.
Get a style of New Orleans consolation meals with this jambalaya recipe! It is a mixture of rooster, sausage, shrimp, veggies, and rice — brimming with Cajun and Creole flavors. Watch the video above to see how I make it!
Season the rooster. In a medium mixing bowl toss collectively the diced rooster with 1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning, till evenly coated.
Prepare dinner the rooster. Warmth 2 tablespoons of the oil in a big Dutch oven or wide-bottomed (and ideally deep) pot over medium-high warmth. Add the rooster and saute till flippantly golden and cooked by way of. Take away the rooster to a plate.
Prepare dinner the sausage. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil together with the sausage to the identical pan and saute for a few minutes, till flippantly browned on each side. Take away the sausage to the plate with the rooster.
Saute the veggies. Add the onion, bell pepper, and celery, and saute for 4 to five minutes, till the veggies have softened. If you might want to add a splash extra oil be happy to take action.
Add the garlic and spices. Add the minced garlic, the remaining 1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning, and the purple pepper flakes to the pan. Stir collectively for 30 seconds.
Add the rice and liquid. Add the rice and toast with the veggies and spices by stirring for a minute. Then add the bay leaf, tomatoes, and broth. Give it a stir, deliver to a simmer, then cut back the warmth to low, and canopy. Prepare dinner for about 7 to eight minutes, stirring often simply to verify the rice is not sticking to the underside of the pot, till the rice is al dente. *see notes on rice under
Add the shrimp. Take away the bay leaf, add the shrimp to the pan together with the sausage and rooster, gently stir, cowl, and switch off the warmth. The shrimp will cook dinner by way of in about 4 to five minutes, and the entire liquid must be absorbed by the rice. Style the jambalaya and season with additional salt and pepper if you would like.
Garnish. Earlier than serving, garnish with sliced inexperienced onions and chopped parsley.
- The number of rice you employ, together with the kind of pot and stovetop temperature actually impacts the cooking time and whether or not the rice goes gentle and mushy, or if the grains keep fluffy. Basmati and jasmine rice can cook dinner rapidly, so I’d suggest checking on the feel at round 7 to eight minutes. It’s finest to cease when it’s al dente, as it’s going to maintain cooking if you add the shrimp and let it sit. If utilizing parboiled rice or long-grain brown rice, you will want to cook dinner the rice longer and add further broth or water.
- Be certain to make use of a big Dutch oven or inventory pot. This recipe makes a superb quantity, and it’s simpler to stir in a big pot.
Energy: 458kcal, Carbohydrates: 38g, Protein: 32g, Fats: 20g, Saturated Fats: 5g, Polyunsaturated Fats: 4g, Monounsaturated Fats: 10g, Trans Fats: 0.1g, Ldl cholesterol: 159mg, Sodium: 793mg, Potassium: 731mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 1261IU, Vitamin C: 30mg, Calcium: 84mg, Iron: 3mg
©Downshiftology. Content material and pictures are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Leave a Reply