This submit could comprise affiliate hyperlinks, which assist maintain this content material free. (Full disclosure)
You gained’t imagine how simple this tandoori rooster recipe is! No have to be intimidated by this basic Indian dish — it’s tremendous fundamental to make at house. I’ll stroll you thru learn how to make tandoori rooster within the oven step-by-step, from the straightforward tandoori rooster marinade to the even less complicated cooking methodology. It has heat spices like coconut curry chicken, with a show-stopping presentation.
This recipe makes use of my favourite stovetop-to-oven cooking methodology for meats. I take advantage of this method most frequently for steaks (together with sirloin steak and filet mignon), but it surely works completely for rooster recipes like this one and even stuffed pork chops.
What Is Tandoori Hen?
Tandoori rooster is an Indian rooster dish that will get marinated in yogurt and conventional Indian spices, then pan fried and completed within the oven.
This Indian rooster recipe historically cooks in a tandoor (a form of clay oven), however you may get related outcomes with an everyday oven or grill.
Why You’ll Love This Tandoori Hen Recipe
- Heat spicy taste
- Juicy inside, crispy pores and skin
- Made with easy, pure elements (and never too lots of them!)
- Simply 10 minutes to prep
- Naturally low carb and gluten-free
- No synthetic colours
Substances & Substitutions
This part explains how to decide on the perfect elements for straightforward tandoori rooster marinade, what every one does within the recipe, and substitution choices. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Hen – I used bone-in chicken leg quarters (drumsticks and thighs related collectively) for this tandoori rooster recipe, that are typically referred to as complete rooster legs. That is the normal possibility, however you possibly can actually use any minimize of rooster, equivalent to chicken thighs, chicken breast, or chicken drumsticks. The cooking time will differ, relying on the minimize, dimension, and whether or not or not there are bones.
- Oil – For frying. I used olive oil, however you would use coconut oil, avocado oil, or any heat-safe oil you favor.
Tandoori Hen Marinade:
- Greek Yogurt – The principle part of the marinade is yogurt! I want to make use of Greek, however common will work as properly. Be sure it’s unsweetened. Use full-fat yogurt when you can for essentially the most flavorful outcomes, however skim or 2% will work if wanted.
- Lime Juice – The acid helps to tenderize the meat. Recent squeezed lime juice tastes finest, however bottled can be utilized for comfort. You may additionally use lemon juice.
- Garlic – Recent minced garlic cloves (or pressed garlic) has the perfect taste, however you should utilize jarred as properly.
- Spice Combine – This easy recipe contains garam masala, turmeric, ground ginger, and cayenne pepper. Garam masala is an Indian spice mix that often contains cinnamon, mace, peppercorns, coriander, cumin, and cardamom. For an much more conventional crimson look and gentle warmth, you possibly can embody kashmiri crimson chili powder (or simply add paprika to make the dish look extra crimson with out additional warmth).
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
How To Make Tandoori Hen
This part reveals learn how to make rooster tandoori, with step-by-step images and particulars concerning the method, that will help you visualize it. For full directions, together with quantities and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Combine tandoori rooster marinade. In a big bowl, add yogurt, lime juice, garlic, garam masala, turmeric, floor ginger, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Stir till mixed.
- Marinate the rooster. Add the rooster items to the marinade bowl and coat on all sides. Cowl with plastic wrap and permit to marinate within the fridge.
- Sear. Preheat the oven. In the meantime, warmth the oil in a cast iron pan till shimmering. Add the rooster in a single layer (you possibly can discard any extra marinade). Cook dinner on both sides till browned.
- Bake. Switch the pan to the oven. Bake tandoori rooster within the oven till the rooster is cooked via. Garnish with limes and recent cilantro if desired.
Suggestions For The Greatest Tandoori Hen
- Marinate in a single day when you can. For finest outcomes, I like to recommend letting the rooster marinate in a single day (at the very least 8 hours) when you have time. This permits the spices to actually penetrate the rooster for a flavorful, scrumptious meal.
- Don’t marinate for longer than 24 hours. Marinating for any longer may cause the rooster to turn out to be mushy.
- Use a forged iron skillet. You may make this tandoori rooster recipe in any oven-safe pan, however I extremely suggest forged iron. It has the perfect warmth distribution, for the proper sear and juicy inside. This is the pan I have and love.
- Keep away from crowding the pan. It’s okay for the items to the touch one another, however don’t place them on high of one another. This ensures that they cook dinner evenly.
- Use a meat thermometer. One of the best ways to know the rooster is cooked accurately is to make use of a meat thermometer. Insert it into the thickest a part of the thigh, away from the bone, to verify the inner temp. Right here is the meat thermometer I use and recommend.
- Cook dinner to 170 levels F (for darkish meat). The secure inner temperature for rooster is 165 levels F, however for darkish meat like chicken drumsticks or chicken leg quarters (together with this tandoori rooster recipe), 170 levels F will yield the juiciest outcomes. It’s because the collagen begins to interrupt down at this larger temperature and makes the meat additional tender. Nonetheless, persist with 165 levels F when you make this recipe utilizing rooster breast or different chicken.
- Is tandoori rooster spicy? Tandoori rooster is extra smoky and savory fairly than spicy. The marinade has a bit of kick from the cayenne, however when you don’t like spice in any respect, you possibly can cut back the quantity of cayenne pepper.
- Why is tandoori rooster crimson? Mostly, Indian tandoori rooster in eating places is a vivid crimson colour as a result of they add crimson meals coloring. Some recipes use crimson chili powder to contribute to the crimson hue as properly. This fast and simple model makes use of pure elements, so it’s not tremendous crimson.
- Retailer: Hold leftovers of this rooster tandoori recipe within the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Meal prep: You may prep the marinade forward. Merely combine collectively elements and retailer within the fridge. The marinade by itself will last as long as 5 days within the fridge. You may as well marinate the rooster within the marinade for as much as 24 hours, which I like to recommend when you have the time.
- Reheat: It’s finest to reheat within the oven at 350 levels F, lined in aluminum foil to stop drying out. Nonetheless, the microwave will do when you should.
- Freeze: Retailer the rooster within the freezer for 2-3 months. Thaw within the fridge in a single day, or in a bag submerged in chilly water on the counter, earlier than reheating the tandoori rooster within the oven.
What To Serve With Tandoori Hen Recipes
Serve this Indian delicacies with a easy aspect:
- Garnishes – I like to recommend recent cilantro and lime wedges or slices. Sliced crimson onions additionally go properly.
- Rice – Common rice is the basic possibility. I often select cauliflower rice (and even cilantro lime cauliflower rice) myself for a more healthy model.
- Naan – The long-lasting aspect to virtually each Indian dish! You may make common naan, or almond flour naan for a gluten-free possibility.
- Greens – Possibly not a part of the normal meal, however I can’t resist veggies with the whole lot. Attempt roasted vegetables or stir fry vegetables.
Extra Indian Hen Recipes
With so many wealthy flavors, these Indian-style rooster recipes are a simple means so as to add aptitude to your dinner routine:
Tandoori Chicken (Super Easy Oven Recipe!)
You’ll love this crispy, easy tandoori chicken recipe, made with a simple marinade using Greek yogurt, lime, garlic, and garam masala.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
Marinating Time 1 hour
Total: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 (adjust to scale recipe)
Tap on the image below to watch the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for wholesome recipes weekly! (Click on the bell icon to be notified once I submit a brand new video.)
Faucet underlined elements to see the place to get them. Please flip Safari reader mode OFF to view elements.
Faucet on the instances within the directions beneath to begin a kitchen timer when you cook dinner.
In a big bowl, add the marinade elements and stir till mixed.
Add rooster to the marinade bowl and coat the rooster on all sides. Cowl with plastic wrap. Enable to marinate within the fridge for 1-2 hours, or in a single day when you have time.
Preheat the oven to 400 levels F (204 levels C).
In a large cast iron skillet, warmth the olive oil over medium warmth till shimmering. Add the rooster legs. Cook dinner for about 5 minutes, flip and cook dinner for about 5 minutes extra, till rooster is browned.
Switch the pan to the oven and cook dinner for an extra 25-35 minutes, till the rooster is cooked via (time will differ relying on the dimensions of your rooster legs). For the juiciest outcomes, cook dinner till it reaches an inner temperature of 170 levels F (beneficial for juicy darkish meat).
Serving dimension: 1 rooster leg quarter
Diet details are calculated with 1/4 of the marinade discarded.
Quantity per serving. Serving dimension in recipe notes above.
Complete Carbs 3.1g
Internet Carbs 2.2g
Diet details are offered as a courtesy. Have questions on calculations or why you bought a distinct outcome? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Healthful Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or web sites. We’d LOVE so that you can share a hyperlink with photograph as a substitute. 🙂
Leave a Reply