Corned beef will get a second (perhaps even higher) life with Corned Beef Hash, a hearty breakfast that’ll have you ever jigging. A jovial collision of skillet-fried potatoes and leftover corned beef brisket topped with egg, this conventional corned beef hash is stick-to-your-ribs satisfying.
Whether or not you’ve got Corned Beef and Cabbage leftovers out of your St. Patrick’s Day festivities, or simply wish to make a hash (you should purchase cooked corned beef from the deli counter!), old school corned beef hash is straightforward, filling, and flavorful.
Cabbage, corned beef, and potatoes are a dynamic trio, like in One Pan Cabbage and Sausage Recipe, and Slow Cooker Sausage, Cabbage, and Potatoes.
Serve corned beef hash or any of those different St. Patrick’s Day recipes with a aspect of Irish Soda Bread and a drink of Whiskey Smash, and also you’ll be seeing inexperienced.
Corned Beef Hash Origins
Conventional corned beef hash is definitely regarded as of English origin, however hashes have been round for hundreds of years as a straightforward strategy to repurpose bits of meat and greens.
The world “hash” comes from the French phrase “hacher,” which suggests “to cut.”
Corned beef is a standard (and notably scrumptious) meat to make use of in a hash as a result of the saltiness of the corned beef pairs completely with the buttery potatoes and biting cabbage, with runny eggs appearing like gravy meddling all of it collectively.
Hashes are versatile, as you may add or subtract your favourite greens (this Sweet Potato Hash is a superb instance).
Methods to Make Simple Corned Beef Hash
After chopped potatoes are simmered, all the dish comes collectively in a single pan, with the eggs nestled proper in.
- Corned Beef. Both make it your self (this recipe is all the things you must know!), or have the butcher thick-cut corned beef, after which chop it into 1/4-inch items.
- Potatoes. I like to make use of Yukon gold potatoes in hashes as a result of they’re naturally buttery flavored, and extra dense and wealthy than russet potatoes.
- Cabbage. Don’t overlook cabbage within the produce part. It’s a critically underrated veggie, filled with vitamin Ok, vitamin C, and folate. Plus should you made Corned Beef and Cabbage, you’ll in all probability have some leftover.
- Carrots and Onion. Provides sweetness, texture, and depth of taste.
- Eggs. They nestle within the hash, and because the yolks break open you’ll exhale “ooo, ahhh” as you behold the scrumptious dish and dig in. When you choose your eggs cooked over onerous, I received’t decide (simply don’t inform me).
- Contemporary Parsley. For garnishing. You’ll get pinched if there isn’t any inexperienced, proper?
- Canola Oil. For frying the potatoes. You may swap one other oil, so long as it has a excessive smoke level (so not further virgin olive oil).
- Simmer potatoes with water in a medium saucepan till fork-tender.
- Drain potatoes, and air dry for 10 minutes on a clear kitchen towel.
- Brown the potatoes.
- Stir within the beef, cabbage, some other greens, and salt, and prepare dinner till the greens are softened.
- Cook dinner the eggs, both instantly within the skillet with the greens or fried individually in a pan and add into the dish.
- Garnish with parsley simply earlier than serving. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Corned beef hash is greatest served proper after cooking, because the potatoes will lose their crispiness because it sits; nonetheless, you may retailer leftover corned beef in an hermetic container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm in a skillet on the range over medium warmth.
Meal Prep Tip
Chop your greens a day prematurely and retailer within the fridge till able to prepare dinner.
What to Serve with Corned Beef Hash
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Greatest Solid Iron Skillet
Designed to warmth evenly and steadily, holding warmth so meals keep heat whereas serving, this forged iron pan incorporates a pre-seasoned cooking floor to assist forestall sticking, and outsized handles for straightforward and safe lifting.
A day that begins with corned beef hash is certain to be fortunate. Get pleasure from!
Regularly Requested Questions
Watch your pan’s warmth stage whereas cooking. It wants to remain at a medium-high temperature to ensure that all the things to get crispy, in any other case it is going to simply sauté and steam. Moreover, work with potatoes which can be as dry as attainable.
My corned beef hash recipe is just not solely straightforward, but additionally not as unhealthy as different conventional corned beef hash recipes usually made with a great deal of butter, with energy and ldl cholesterol galore. Whereas corned beef recipes are usually not the leanest protein and likewise accommodates larger ranges of sodium, the dish is filled with greens, fiber, and extra protein from the eggs. You may add much more greens, like spinach, to up the vitamins. Get pleasure from carefully.
Utilizing recent or leftover corned beef will provide you with a richer and extra genuine taste, in addition to a greater texture. For that reason, I don’t suggest corned beef.
Sure, you can also make corned beef hash browns with prepackaged hash browns for a shortcut, or make your individual hash browns by grating potatoes with a mandolin. If utilizing frozen hash browns, thaw first and squeeze out as a lot moisture as attainable in order that they get crispy.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes scrubbed and reduce into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 pound whole)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 3 cups thinly chopped inexperienced cabbage 1/2 medium head or 3 cups chopped, destemmed kale
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 1 pound cooked thick-cut corned beef chopped into 1/4-inch items
- 4 to six giant eggs
- Chopped recent parsley
Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and canopy with at the least 2 inches of chilly water. Carry to a gentle simmer over medium excessive warmth, however don’t permit the water to achieve a full boil (modify the warmth as wanted). Simmer till the potatoes are fork-tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, unfold right into a single layer on a clear kitchen towel, and air dry for 10 minutes (this can assist the potatoes crisp).
Warmth the oil in a big forged iron or comparable heavy-bottomed skillet over medium warmth. When shimmering, organize the potatoes in a single layer within the skillet. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the salt. Cook dinner, undisturbed, for 7 to eight minutes, till the underside of the potatoes are browned (keep watch over them and scale back the warmth as wanted to keep away from burning). Flip the potatoes, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and proceed cooking, undisturbed, till the opposite aspect is browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes extra.
Stir within the cabbage, onion, carrots, corned beef, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, till the greens are softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Cook dinner the eggs: To prepare dinner the eggs instantly within the skillet (one much less pan however slightly more durable to attain the perfect yolk), with the again of a spoon, make 4 to six wells within the greens. Crack an egg into every properly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and prepare dinner till the yolk is ready. Or, to fry the eggs individually, warmth a medium skillet over medium warmth with a drizzle of oil. Crack the eggs into the skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and prepare dinner, undisturbed, till the yolk is simply set. Switch the eggs to the corned beef hash within the skillet or add to particular person parts. Garnish with parsley simply earlier than serving.
- TO STORE: Corned beef hash is greatest served proper after cooking, because the potatoes will lose their crispiness because it sits; nonetheless, you may retailer leftover corned beef in an hermetic container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm in a skillet on the range over medium warmth.
Serving: 1of 6Energy: 305kcalCarbohydrates: 17gProtein: 17gFats: 19gSaturated Fats: 5gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 9gTrans Fats: 0.03gLdl cholesterol: 150mgPotassium: 688mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 5290IUVitamin C: 48mgCalcium: 57mgIron: 3mg
Be a part of as we speak and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.
Leave a Reply