A listing of Decrease Sugar Breakfast Cereals for Children (and adults) in case you are in search of some new choices for breakfasts or snacks. All of them have six grams of added sugar or much less and not less than two grams of each protein and fiber.
*Initially printed April 2019. Up to date Might 2023*
The record of Decrease Sugar Cereals For Children (and adults) is right here! I do know cereal usually will get knocked for not being essentially the most nutritious meals to feed your child, however as somebody who very critically lived off nearly nothing however cereal for a few years, I’ll at all times have a powerful love for it.
Plus my children find it irresistible so I assume they take after their mama. Whereas there are undoubtedly some cereal choices on the market which can be, for my part, overly sugary and never overly nutritious…there are additionally some good cereal decisions on the market.
A number of manufacturers make cereal low in sugar and in addition include a good quantity of protein and fiber. When paired with some further protein and fiber, cereal can undoubtedly be a part of a wholesome meal or snack. I usually get requested about the perfect cereal for toddlers so let’s speak about it!
That is one put up in a collection of “better of store-bought” suggestions. For extra concepts, try these posts:
Snacks from sure shops:
- Healthy Amazon Snacks
- Best Trader Joe’s Snacks
- Best Healthy Walmart Snacks
- Healthy Snacks At Costco For The Whole Family
- Best ALDI Healthy Snacks
- Best Healthy Snacks at Target
Forms of snacks:
- Best Healthy Gluten-Free Snacks
- High Protein Snack Ideas
- Healthy Store-Bought Tortillas
- Best Boxed Mac and Cheese
- Healthy Crackers for Kids and Adults
- Best Low-Sugar Yogurts
- Best Frozen Waffles
- Lower Sugar Cereal For Kids
- Healthy Store-Bought Granola Bars for Kids
- Individually Wrapped Snack Ideas
- Peanut & Tree Nut Free Packaged Snacks
Wholesome Cereals For Children
Why am I such a fan of cereal? Right here are some things to recollect!
- It’s usually fortified with useful issues like B nutritional vitamins, Iron, Zinc, Calcium and Vitamin D. Iron is particularly vital for kiddos so cereal could be a great way so as to add some further to their eating regimen.
- There are many whole-grain choices obtainable. If the field says complete grain, then not less than half the grain substances are complete grain. If it says 100% complete grain then all of the grain substances are complete grain. You may search for the yellow and black whole-grain stamp. If it says 100% complete grains, it has not less than 16g complete grains which is one serving of complete grains.
- Do not forget that this record may also be useful to search out low-sugar cereal for adults. Nothing says solely children can eat these!
Standards for Finest Low Sugar Cereals
Everytime you make an inventory like this, you need to choose a cut-off. In any other case, you’ll by no means be capable to eradicate something out of your record. So for the needs of this record, right here’s what I used for my standards:
Grams of sugar per serving
Intention for six grams or much less of added sugar per serving.
Protein and fiber
Search for not less than 2 grams of each protein and fiber per serving.
One other issue to think about when selecting a cereal
It doesn’t matter how wholesome it’s if it doesn’t get eaten! I made a secondary/alternates record that goes as much as 9 grams of added sugar as a result of there are some choices on the market which have 5-6 grams fiber/protein and many others however just a little extra added sugar as properly…so that you’ll have to weigh the professionals and cons relying on what you’re in search of in a cereal.
I attempted to select cereals which can be kid-friendly as a result of let’s be actual…not numerous children are going to eat plain bran flakes so I didn’t put them on the record although they’re low in sugar.
I didn’t embrace granola. I felt prefer it deserved its personal record that maybe I’ll put collectively sooner or later. I attempted to incorporate cereals which can be generally discovered, not simply obtainable at one retailer like Dealer Joe’s or Complete Meals.
Different Notes For Child Cereals
For this record, I actually simply targeted on the sugar, protein and fiber content material.
There are a number of different elements to think about in the case of cereal and it could be arduous to handle all of them, in order a accountable shopper, it’s best to do your personal analysis on the next elements in the event that they’re vital to you as a result of I didn’t handle them:
- Natural/non-organic substances
- Allergens- some cereals could include nuts, dairy and many others
- Synthetic colours/sweeteners- some cereals could embrace these.
- Security – some cereals could also be too arduous/crunchy for youthful toddlers, even when soaked in milk
- Serving measurement – make sure you examine it. Evaluating a ⅔ cup serving measurement to 1 cup serving measurement isn’t apples to apples
- Sodium and calorie content material
Listed here are some decrease added sugar cereals and a easy trick for decreasing added sugar:
What cereal is sweet for top blood sugar?
Identical to any carbohydrates, cereal can spike your blood sugar so I like to recommend in search of fiber. If it’s low in sugar but in addition low in fiber, add some recent fruit, nuts or seeds to spice up fiber content material.
In case you want a refresher, fiber consumption targets are as follows: 19 grams per day for 1-3-year-olds, 25 grams per day for 4-8-year-olds, and continues to extend for older children and adults. Cereals like Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes and Crispix fall into this class, with just some grams of sugar however no fiber both.
Discovering a cereal that’s each low and sugar and excessive in fiber is vital for most individuals however particularly those that are diabetic or pre-diabetic and are working to regulate their blood sugar.
What makes a cereal nutritious?
Along with selecting cereals which can be decrease in added sugar and have some protein and fiber, listed below are a couple of extra ideas:
- In case your children are used to higher-sugar cereals, search for comparable lower-sugar choices and begin by mixing half and half.
- I often attempt to pair cereal with a protein supply like milk, yogurt, cheese, nuts, and many others.
- Get out your measuring cups and measure out a serving measurement of your cereal so you may see what it appears to be like like
- Test the field. Issues change. Recipes change. The numbers on this put up may in some unspecified time in the future change into inaccurate.
So, are you prepared for the record? Right here you go! Bear in mind, this isn’t an all-inclusive record. That will be an enormous activity to deal with. That is simply to offer you a beginning place and supply some cereals you perhaps haven’t heard of or tried.
Decrease Sugar Cereals For Children
The next cereals have six grams or much less added sugar and not less than 2 grams of each protein and fiber (I needed to transfer a number of choices from my unique record to the alternate record as a result of they’ve raised the quantity of added sugar since I initially posted this in 2019. You should definitely take note of the serving measurement when evaluating labels and consuming cereal!
- Barbara’s Puffins Authentic (3g protein, 3g fiber, 6g added sugar)
- Barbara’s Puffins Cinnamon (3g protein, 3g fiber, 6g added sugar)
- Cascadian Farms Purely O’s (4g protein, 4g fiber, <1 g added sugar)
- Chex Cereal (Rice/Corn) – (3g protein, 2g fiber, 3g added sugar)
- Chex Cereal (Wheat) – (6g protein, 8g fiber, 6g added sugar)
- Common Mills Plain Cheerios (3g protein, 3g fiber, 1g sugar)
- Common Mills Kix (2g protein, 3g fiber, 3g added sugar)
- Common Mills Whole (3g protein, 4g fiber, 6g added sugar)
- Common Mills Wheaties (3g protein, 4g fiber, 5g added sugar)
- Kashi Cinnamon Oat Cereal (4g protein, 5g fiber, 6g added sugar)
- Kashi Honey Toasted Oat (4g protein, 5g fiber, 6g added sugar)
- Nature’s Path Crispy Rice (3g protein, 3g fiber, 3g added sugar)
- Nature’s Path Heritage Flakes (5g protein, 7g fiber, 5g added sugar)
- Nature’s Path Complete O’s (4g protein, 4g fiber, 4g added sugar)
- Nature’s Path Dawn Crunchy Cinnamon (3g protein, 4g fiber, 6g added sugar)
- Nature’s Path Mesa Dawn (4g protein, 5g fiber, 4g added sugar)
Alternates (9 grams of added sugar or much less and not less than 2 grams of protein and fiber)
My high decisions on this class can be Barbara’s Multigrain spoonfuls and Cascadian Farms Raisin Bran as a result of they’ve a great quantity of protein and fiber and solely 7g added sugar. Quaker Oat squares are one other one with numerous protein and fiber but in addition have 9g added sugar. You can attempt mixing with plain Chex or Shredded Wheat which have an identical form however are decrease in added sugar.
- Barbara’s Puffins Peanut Butter (3g protein, 2g fiber, 9g added sugar)
- Barbara’s Multigrain Spoonfuls (5g protein, 5g fiber, 7g added sugar)
- Common Mills Multigrain Cheerios (3g protein, 3g fiber, 8g added sugar)
- Cascadian Farms Raisin Bran (5g protein, 7g fiber, 7g added sugar)
- Cascadian Farms Multigrain Squares Cereal (6g protein, 5g fiber, 9g added sugar)
- Chex Cereal Cinnamon (2g protein, 2g fiber, 8g added sugar) *different varieties obtainable
- Kashi Maple Waffle Crisp (4g protein, 4g fiber, 8g added sugar)
- Kellog Raisin Bran (5g protein, 7g fiber, 9g added sugar)
- Nature’s Path Envirokidz Peanut Butter Panda Puffs (3g protein, 3g fiber, 9g added sugar)
- Nature’s Path Dawn Crunchy Vanilla/Maple/Honey (2g protein, 4g fiber, 7g added sugar)
- Publish Honey Bunches of Oats Cinnamon/Honey Roasted (3g protein, 2g fiber, 8g added sugar)
- Quaker Life (unique) (4g protein, 3g fiber, 8g added sugar)
- Quaker Oatmeal Squares – brown sugar & cinnamon (6g protein, 5g fiber, 9g added sugar)
So there you go! I’d love to listen to a few of your kiddos favourite lower-sugar cereals in the event that they’re not on this record! Just a few extra questions:
Breakfast Cereal FAQs
What cereals are lowest in sugar?
Generally, listed below are among the cereals that are typically the bottom in sugar are the plain styles of issues like Cheerios, Chex, Corn Flakes, Rice Crispies, though a few of these are additionally low in fiber and protein.
There are additionally some which can be low in sugar as a result of they use sweeteners like monk fruit ( Three Needs, Magic Spoon and many others). You may read more about sugar substitutes here.
Finest cereal for toddlers?
Underneath age 2 is once I pay essentially the most consideration to added sugar. Cereals like Cheerios/toasted oat cereals, in addition to puffed complete gran cereals like (kamut, wheat, rice and many others) are nice possibility. Shredded wheat soaked in milk to melt it may also be an ideal selection!
Why does cereal make my blood sugar drop?
Consuming excessive sugar cereal, particularly by itself, can undoubtedly result in a blood sugar crash. The sugar within the cereal spikes your blood sugar, then your physique has to provide numerous insulin to decrease your blood sugar resulting in a crash that may depart you hungry once more shortly, in addition to shaky, irritable and extra.
To assist keep away from this, select a cereal that’s low in added sugar and in addition has some protein and fiber to assist steadiness your blood sugars and forestall a spike and crash.
Take pleasure in!
Leave a Reply