This submit could include affiliate hyperlinks, which assist preserve this content material free. (Full disclosure)
I’ve been making broccoli slaw since I can keep in mind in my grownup life. Even in faculty after I didn’t do a lot cooking (survived on stir fry meals and frozen pizza), I’d purchase pre-cut baggage and make my very own creamy broccoli slaw salad dressing. Lately I’m nonetheless massive on comfort (2 youngsters and all…), however I additionally wish to make meals from scratch after I can. It seems, making this simple broccoli slaw recipe utilizing recent broccoli and carrots makes it even higher!
What Is Broccoli Slaw?
Broccoli slaw is rather a lot like cabbage coleslaw, however makes use of shredded broccoli stems and florets as an alternative of cabbage. It combines crisp broccoli and recent carrots with an irresistible, evenly candy creamy broccoli slaw dressing, then finishes with sliced almonds for added crunch.
Why You’ll Love This Straightforward Broccoli Slaw Recipe
- Recent, crunchy veggies
- Candy, tangy, and creamy dressing
- No cooking — simply lower and blend
- Prepared in quarter-hour
- Naturally gluten-free, low carb, and dairy-free
- Good for any picnic, barbecue, or cookout
Components & Substitutions
This part explains how to decide on the most effective broccoli slaw components, what each does within the recipe, and substitution choices. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Broccoli & Carrots – Use a small bunch of broccoli with stems included and one carrot. Alternatively, you need to use about 4 cups of pre-made broccoli slaw combine in a bag from the grocery retailer.
- Sliced Almonds – Though non-obligatory, I like to recommend including these for the right taste and crunch. You could possibly additionally use walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, or pecans. For a nut free possibility, use sunflower seeds as an alternative.
Broccoli Slaw Dressing:
- Mayonnaise – I make my very own avocado oil mayonnaise for this, however store-bought and even plain Greek yogurt would work as properly.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Provides that tangy coleslaw taste. You could possibly additionally use lemon juice or white wine vinegar.
- Honey – I normally use sugar-free honey to keep away from added sugar, however any form works.
- Dijon Mustard – Though it provides extra taste and tang, Dijon mustard is just not important to the dressing. You could possibly use yellow mustard, honey mustard, or brown mustard as an alternative, or omit the mustard altogether.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper – To style.
How To Make Broccoli Slaw
This part exhibits the right way to make broccoli slaw salad, with step-by-step photographs and particulars in regards to the approach, that will help you visualize it. For full directions, together with quantities and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
- Lower off the florets. Wash and dry broccoli. Lower broccoli florets away from broccoli stalks.
- Chop finely. Chop florets into small items, as this may forestall them from overpowering the shredded stems within the broccoli slaw. Place in a big bowl and put aside.
- Peel the stem. Use a vegetable peeler (advisable) or sharp knife to peel broccoli stem.
- Shred the stem. Julienne broccoli stems into skinny matchstick items. Add to bowl with the chopped florets.
TIP: Use a meals processor for much less effort.
You possibly can slice the stems thinly by hand utilizing a knife, however I like to recommend utilizing a food processor with grating attachment. A box grater would additionally work.
- Shred the carrots. Wash, dry, and peel carrots. Julienne them the identical approach because the broccoli stem. Add to bowl with broccoli.
- Combine the broccoli slaw dressing. Whisk collectively the mayo, apple cider vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard (if utilizing), salt, and pepper.
- Mix. Pour broccoli slaw dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Modify salt and pepper to style if wanted.
- Add crunch. Add almonds and toss once more.
TIP: Let the flavors develop you probably have time.
You possibly can get pleasure from this salad straight away, however you probably have time, refrigerate for no less than 1 hour (as much as 3 days) to let the flavors develop. Stir proper earlier than serving.
This dish makes the right healthy salad as is, however listed below are some non-obligatory additions if you wish to change it up:
- Dried fruit – Add 1/2 cup dried cranberries (common or sugar-free), raisins, or golden raisins to make it sweeter. You can too strive my broccoli cranberry salad for the same twist.
- Apples – Shred 1 purple or inexperienced apple into the broccoli coleslaw salad for a candy and crunchy distinction.
- Onion – Including 1/4 to 1/2 cup of diced or thinly sliced purple onion to broccoli slaw gives a touch of spice and sweetness, including an additional layer of taste.
- Make a meal – High with pan seared chicken breast, grilled hen, or juicy baked chicken breast to make it a meal.
Hold the salad in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3-5 days.
What To Serve With Broccoli Slaw Recipes
This slaw is so versatile that it may be used as a aspect salad at picnics or potlucks, a aspect dish at residence, and even as a topping! Listed below are some scrumptious concepts:
- Hen – I wish to serve this salad with easy pan fried chicken thighs, however I additionally serve it with coconut chicken tenders for a candy and savory combo. It additionally does an important job of balancing out the warmth of buffalo flavors, like baked buffalo wings, zesty buffalo chicken breasts, or for a vegetarian possibility, buffalo cauliflower.
- Fish – Slaw is a traditional combo for crunchy fish recipes like fish sticks, crispy parmesan crusted tilapia, or elegant baked haddock with a toasted almond topping.
- Grilled Mains – Broccoli salad with coleslaw dressing pairs properly with barbecue mains like smoky grilled shrimp skewers, BBQ ribs, juicy grilled steak, flaky grilled cod, and even grilled lobster tail.
- Topping – Add it to your favourite tacos, make supreme nachos (or cauliflower nachos for a lighter possibility), or add it to scorching canine or juicy burgers for recent crunch.
Extra Creamy Salad Recipes
Say bye to boring salads! Attempt these simple ones as an alternative — good for all events.
Broccoli Slaw Recipe (15 Minutes!)
This broccoli slaw recipe has a sweet, creamy dressing that coats fresh broccoli, carrots, and almonds. A perfect salad for summer meals!
Prep: 15 minutes
Total: 15 minutes
Servings: 4 (adjust to scale recipe)
Tap underlined ingredients to see where to get them. Please turn Safari reader mode OFF to view ingredients.
Tap on the times in the instructions below to start a kitchen timer while you cook.
Wash and dry the broccoli.
Cut the broccoli florets away from the stem. Chop into very small pieces, about 1/4 inch in size. Place into a large bowl and set aside.
Use a knife or vegetable peeler to peel the broccoli stem. (If the underside inch of the stem may be very woody, simply lower it off and discard.) Julienne the broccoli stem into skinny matchstick items. You are able to do this by hand utilizing a knife, however I like to recommend utilizing a food processor with grating attachment. A box grater also needs to work. Add the stems to the bowl with the chopped florets.
Wash, dry, and peel the carrots. Julienne them the identical approach because the broccoli stem, utilizing a knife, meals processor with grating attachment, or field grater. Add the carrots to the big bowl with the broccoli.
In a small bowl, whisk collectively the broccoli slaw dressing: mayo, apple cider vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard (if utilizing), salt, and pepper.
Pour the dressing over the broccoli slaw and toss to coat. Modify salt and pepper to style if wanted.
Add the almonds and toss once more.
Get pleasure from straight away, or you probably have time, refrigerate for no less than 1 hour (as much as 3 days) to let the flavors develop. Stir proper earlier than serving.
Serving dimension: 1 cup
Diet info doesn’t embody non-obligatory components.
Quantity per serving. Serving dimension in recipe notes above.
Whole Carbs 22.1g
Internet Carbs 18.6g
Diet details are offered as a courtesy. Have questions on calculations or why you bought a special end result? Please see our nutrition policy.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Healthful Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or web sites. We’d LOVE so that you can share a hyperlink with picture as an alternative. 🙂
Leave a Reply