Caprese salad is a basic Italian salad made with alternating slices of juicy, ripe tomatoes, and creamy mozzarella. It’s topped with recent basil leaves, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and sprinkled with salt and pepper. It’s easy, recent, and one among my favourite summer time salad recipes.
Caprese salad (also referred to as insalata caprese) is a basic dish from the Italian island of Capri. It’s easy, juicy, creamy, recent, and my go-to salad every time I journey to Italy. Think about sitting in a restaurant on the Amalfi coast, gazing out on the ocean whereas having fun with a freshly made caprese salad with an Aperol spritz. It’s probably the most good expertise ever.
So, I say let’s deliver that very same expertise into your kitchen and whip up this caprese salad recipe. It’s straightforward to make, gentle and refreshing, and assured to be successful for all of your summer time dinner events and cookouts.
Caprese Salad Substances
Crucial factor a few caprese salad is the standard of the components. That’s why it’s a summertime staple — when tomatoes and basil are recent and at their greatest. Right here’s what’s in it:
- Tomatoes: Splurge on the juiciest tomatoes you will discover. Whether or not that’s natural heirloom tomatoes or plum tomatoes, simply ensure they’re ripe with no trace of inexperienced and virtually about to burst.
- Mozzarella: Once more, don’t skimp on low cost stuff. Seize a giant ball of recent, creamy, genuine mozzarella (mozzarella di buffalo can also be nice) for the proper texture. You’ll normally discover it packed in water.
- Recent Basil: Pluck these leaves recent from the plant proper earlier than serving, if doable. You desire a shiny inexperienced shade and a recent aroma that make you’re feeling such as you’re wandering by way of an Italian backyard.
- Olive Oil: I’m positive you’ve gathered the theme right here, however freshness can also be essential with olive oil. Go for a superb cold-pressed, extra-virgin olive oil with a little bit of a chew. It doesn’t should be costly, however it does should be good. California Olive Ranch and Lucini are two of my go-to manufacturers.
- Balsamic Vinegar: I’ll be the primary to say that balsamic vinegar is just not basic or crucial on caprese salad, however boy do I like it. And when it’s made right into a balsamic reduction, it’s thick, candy, and wonderful. You may add it or depart it off, it’s as much as you!
- Salt and Pepper: Use a flakey salt like Maldon Salt or triangular sea salt for that good texture. Simply don’t use desk salt. Add freshly cracked black pepper for the final touch.
Useful tip: when you’ve received an abundance of recent tomatoes, use them to make different Mediterranean favorites like my zucchini noodle caprese, marinara sauce, or Greek salad!
Discover the printable recipe with measurements beneath
How To Make Caprese Salad
Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella. As soon as sliced, merely alternate them in layers on a plate. You may place the layers in a vertical row or spherical them out right into a circle as I did. It’s all about presentation right here!
Add the ending touches. Layer the basil leaves in between the tomatoes and mozzarella, with a couple of child leaves on prime. Then, drizzle the olive oil and balsamic discount on prime, and sprinkle with salt and pepper earlier than serving. Then — cue the bottle of wine!
Caprese salad is at all times greatest served recent. However you possibly can additionally make this as much as 24 hours prematurely (with out the oil and balsamic vinegar). Simply slice up the tomatoes and mozzarella and retailer them within the fridge till you’re able to serve.
If have a couple of slices left over, the salad may also preserve within the fridge for as much as 4 days. Simply observe that the tomato will soften over time.
Extra Caprese Recipe Concepts
If you wish to get artistic, attempt these enjoyable caprese recipes! And when you’re searching for extra salads to entertain with, any of those salad recipes or summer salads will impress.
There’s by no means an excessive amount of caprese salad throughout summer time. So when you make it, let me know what your ideas are on this recipe within the remark field beneath!
Caprese Salad Recipe
Caprese salad is a basic Italian salad with juicy tomatoes, mozzarella, basil leaves, and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar — good for summer time festivities. Watch the video beneath!
- Ensure that to take a look at my separate recipe for learn how to make a Balsamic Reduction (Balsamic Glaze). It’s straightforward and a lot better than store-bought.
- You may get artistic and substitute the tomatoes for a wide range of fruits, together with peaches, nectarines, strawberries, and extra. Use what’s in season!
Energy: 255kcal, Carbohydrates: 7g, Protein: 13g, Fats: 20g, Saturated Fats: 8g, Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g, Monounsaturated Fats: 9g, Ldl cholesterol: 45mg, Sodium: 360mg, Potassium: 262mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 4g, Vitamin A: 1152IU, Vitamin C: 13mg, Calcium: 296mg, Iron: 1mg
©Downshiftology. Content material and images are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Initially posted July 2019, however up to date to incorporate new info.
Leave a Reply